Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It's time for an update!

The last few days have been really positive, for the project.. yes, but also for me during this process of getting used to Peru.



This past week, my host-mom started treating me more like a member of the family, rather than just a guest who needs to be waited on hand-and-foot. My friends at university know that I am fiercely independent when it comes to taking care of myself. This morning, she allowed to me to do the dishes... and then after that she allowed me to wash my own laundry. It may sound strange that I am actually happy about this, but its nice to be able to help when someone is allowing you to stay in the house, give you a comfy bed, prepares all your meals etc. That was a good turning point for me because I am starting to feel more at home and regaining my sense of independence.

I am starting to really appreciate where we are living. We are living in the countryside near this town called Cieneguilla. Cieneguilla is where all the richest of the rich have their country homes and chacras. We are living in a pueblito where the people who work the farms live. Its very strange for me being in this position. Everyday we walk by the gates of the richest of the rich, locked out and shielded from view with very tall, concrete walls. At home, I used to live in an estate, guarded by gates and had friends who lived in similar houses. When I went to the Phillipines, Dad and I used to stay the weekend with people who lived in similar houses. It is strange for me to be on the other side, but I appreciate where we are living.

Life here is much slower, more normal. Meat and Vegetables are always fresh. Yesterday for dinner, I had chicken with a salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato, carrot etc. It had all literally come from a market about 2 or 3 hours before. Where we are, there are far fewer people and it is much quieter. The air is much cleaner as well, I can breathe. These were all the things I came to appreciate, especially after we went to Lima.

Earlier in the day, we went to the centre of Lima. It sounds really exciting, but from where we are and depending on where you need to go, it can take between 2 and 3 hours to get into Lima. We travel by Combi, packed in like sardines and the game is positioning yourself so that you can a) hold on for your life if there are no seats b) grab the first free seat that is available. Once you get there, its really foggy and polluted with people everywhere!!! (atleast to the places we need to go) That makes Lima sound really horrible, but it is a gorgeous city in certain parts, but surrounding all the old colonial architecture and plazas, there are poor neighbourhoods and slums that cover the mountain sides as far as the eye can see. When I am there next, I will take a picture to illustrate the contrast. The other thing that struck me after walking around Lima all day, the air is very dirty (I'm really spoiled because I am used to Canadian air haha) Our trip made me really appreciate our simple life. I miss Canada, but just my home comforts and I am starting to really feel at home here. After a few more weeks, the cold showers and lack of washing machines will feel normal too, I'm sure.

I will give an update later about the activities and our lessons. The inauguration at Villa Maria is in a week, soon the project will be completly up and running.

Hasta Luego
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment