Friday, May 21, 2010

May 13

First up, here's a post I never posted, from May 13:

May 13
A whole week.

As in most experiences like this one, it seems strange that only a week has passed but at the same time I can't believe that it's already gone. Some snippets of the journey so far:

When I think, large portions are in Spanish. I have to work at keeping things in English. I didn't expect that, not this soon anyway. Strange how a language can hide away and then perk up as if it hadn't been ignored for two years.

Spanish feels like the language the world was made for. I'm not sure how to better describe it. It's the way a 25-cent bus ride on gravel straight through the river would sound if it had a language.

The sound of Lima: Subesubesubesube toalamarINAAAA! Javieprauuujavieprau! Multiply that by fourteen and add six lanes of car horns.

I avoid saying words in Spanish that contain the letter r. I worked for ages to pronounce both r and rr, and that's gone now. It's the most typically gringo mistake to make, so I'm embarrassed for myself that I can manage so well until I have to speak.

It seems my memories are very auditory. Is anyone surprised?

No comments:

Post a Comment