Thursday, May 6, 2010

Touchdown!

I've arrived in Lima and all is well. Surreal is the best word, but slowly things feel second nature again, like the dogs and cats in the street, fruit vendors over bullhorns, and cutting electricity to our whole floor by trying to take a hot shower. Sweet, sweet Peru.

The computers are up and running, and everyone is fascinated. I will be going with Isaac to see the area on Fri/Sat, but we won't be formally introduced or start the actual activities until Katie arrives in a few days. It's all very exciting but ever so slightly overwhelming, too. My Spanish is catching up, but it will take a few days. The strangest thing is remembering that everyone will expect me to speak Spanish, compared to hopefully eavesdropping on Edmonton buses only to catch a couple sentences in my adopted language.

It will also take at least a day to recover from the 30 hours of travel, including sleeping overnight in the Edmonton airport to catch my very very early flight and then sporadic naps on the four planes that it took to get me here.

But it's real! I'm in Peru! How can't I love this feeling?

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment